I live in California, using at&t. In my case, recently I got a new iphone 4 to replace my old iphone 3g. The transition has been smooth even though I lost all settings from my individual apps. But, the one thing that caught my attention is google voice. Now, I am not blaming any party here, since it’s always technically challenging to have two companies involved in one device.
btw, I am referring to the phone service, not the gv app. When some people call my at&t number they get a “phone not in service” error message, same error when calling my gv number. However, some other people are fine calling me. Strange…
After many trials, I figured out a way to get things back to normal.
- Go to your google voice web page
- Click on Settings -> Voice Settings
- Go to the Phones tab
- Locate your at&t phone, click Edit
- At your Number field, take away “+1”, then click Save
- You will be asked to verify your phone.
- Now, click on the “Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone” link and follow the instructions.
- Then, click on the “Activate Google voicemail on this phone” link and follow the instructions. You may need to refresh your google voice web page if the link is not responsive.
Now both of my numbers are pointing to my at&t phone correctly.
On a side note, when I called my gv # from another phone, after declining it the first time on my at&t phone, I got a second call again…? Then I declined again, and it went to my gv voicemail. This is strange also, but at least it won’t bother the caller.